Sunday, December 6, 2009

Irony

I waited to see what the 1st trimester would bring- puking or no? I kept saying I've got an easy pregnancy coming, after all I went through to get pregnant. So I was anxious to see if it would be or not. Well, it was, the 1st trimester at least. I had very mild nausea from weeks 6 - 10. I craved carbs. Some of my faves were saltines, french fries, KFC mashed potatoes, and Noble Romans breadsticks. The nausea seemed to improve dramatically once I got off progesterone.

The ironic part is that pregnancy never made me throw up, but the stomach bug did. We were in the middle of moving. I had been packing boxes and Jamie moved a load a week until we were down to only big furniture. We had scheduled the big move day for August 28th and Jamie had asked a bunch of friends to help, but we only had a firm response from Kyle Hanson. Then that morning he called and said Tami was sick, throwing up, so he wouldn't be able to help b/c he had to watch the kids. Thinking he was going to be our only help, I offered to watch the kids for him so he could help Jamie move. I drove their car and took the kids to Mom's since I didn't want to be around Tami while she was sick, and our house was out of commission.
I went to work the next morning feeling a little nauseaus, a little more than normal I suspected. School starts at 8, but by 8:15 I was in the bathroom over the toilet. I told the kids I'd be right back, got the teacher downstairs to help watch them and call the office while I waited in the bathroom. I got very upset, mostly b/c I was afraid I was disappointing Susie and was overwhelmed by the situation. Susie came to check on me, I assured her it wasn't morning sickness, and she called Jamie to come get me. I waited in the nurse's office, nearly hysterical, I kept worrying about putting everyone out and "what would this do to the baby." So for the next 48 hours I stayed in bed, puking and diarrhea, realizing they're serious when they say your immune system isn't as strong while you're pregnant. From then on I was extremely cautious of germs :)

While I was out sick, my sub told my class, in a prayer, that I was pregnant. She assumed since she'd heard it from a secretary that I'd told my class so she prayed for my pregnancy. After the prayer the kids were in an uproar- "our teacher isn't pregnant! is she?" So she figured they actually didn't know and tried covering by telling them she got me confused with the other 3rd grade teacher who was pregnant last year. They were then suspicious for the next few weeks, until I told them. One boy went home and told his mom "the girls think Mrs. Druelinger is pregnant." He said "they keep trying to get the boys to ask and they think so b/c her stomach is getting bigger." She told him don't ever ask a lady if she is pregnant based on the size of her stomach.

No comments:

Post a Comment