Monday, December 7, 2009

Cassie & Jamie, plus 5? 3? 2?

Well we almost had our own show a few times. Once we took our chances by triggering with 5 good follicles, having about a 30% chance of quads, 75% chance of trips or 90% chance of twins. Thank goodness that didn't happen!

Every time we had a very good chance of multiples, twins being the most common. So it was inevitable that when we did IVF we'd have a very good chance again. We put in 2 good embryos and one that Gentry didn't think would survive. When I took the blood test to see if I was pregnant my numbers registered early and high. I was at the high end of the singleton bracket (only having one), the middle range of the twin bracket, and the low end of the triplet bracket. I was a bit nervous. I REALLY didn't want trips and I really didn't want twins. The large stomach, early labor, bedrest, 2 or 3 kids at the same age, crying at the same time, wanting fed at the same time, just didn't sound fun to me.

We went in on August 21st for our 1st ultrasound to see how many had survived the IVF. By this time everyone knows you and you know all the nurses (some I wish I didn't know- but that's another post). So they were all anxious to see. They filed into my room as we began the ultrasound. We only saw one, but I didn't feel like the nurse was moving the wand all around the uterus. I thought "she must just be starting on one side, she'll eventually move to the other side and find another baby". It was the first time I'd had this nurse, as she was filling in from the Indy office and didn't know my situation so I let her know she should look around for another one. She said she had but she moved it around some more just to satisfy me. Sure enough there was only one. The nurses were all shocked. They said they had me on the "board" under the twin category and were expecting to see 2 that day. They all congragulated me and left.

Gentry came in and I shared the good news with him, "only one!". He was shocked I only wanted one. Apparently most couples want at least 2 when they go through IVF- they figure they want to get their money's worth. Not this girl! I got what I came for! I asked Gentry what he thought about the high HCG numbers, that made us all think it was going to be twins. He said most likely one didn't survive. So we almost had twins...

We were very happy the the results of IVF! We're so excited to have ONE healthy baby boy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment