Friday, April 20, 2012

Beck's Big Boy Bed!

On Saturday march 29th Beck climbed out of his crib during nap. This was the second time in two days so we decided it was time to transition to his toddler bed. He had just turned two also. We didn't prepare him for the transition because we didn't even know we were going to do it. We had been waiting on signs from him. Sunday after church we came home and turned his crib into a toddler bed. We had him help hoping he'd be excited to use it. He was! I quickly began researching how to transition on the babywisemom website. I had ideas already based on what I've heard my friends talk about. I knew I didn't want him to get out of bed until I "released" him and that I'd discipline him if he got out when he wasn't supposed to. When he'd climbed out during his naps he had stayed in his room playing so I feared that would be what would happen in a big boy bed.
So here's how it went...

Day 1 nap: His nap came first which I guessed would be the hardest because he's not as tired, and it was but yet surprisingly easy at that. Jamie was the one to lay him down and he didn't go through the routine that I do with him daily so I definitely think that affected his reaction. Soon after Beck got out of bed and opened the door. I took him back in and fixed the things Jamie missed like his sound machine and sang him Jesus Loves Me. As I laid him down I explained to him that if he got out he'd get a spanking. I walked out and a few minutes later he came out again. I spanked him and put him back in bed and reminded him he'd get a spanking if he came out again. He was quiet for a while so I figured he fell asleep but then he started talking again, so Jamie peeked in. He was just sliding off the bed so Jamie told him to get back in bed then shut the door. He fell asleep and slept for 2 hours. When he woke up I heard him talking so I hurried in so I could find him in bed which I did. I praised him for staying in his bed until momma came to get him and for sleeping in his big boy bed! He was very excited!

Day 1 night: That night when I laid him down for bed I told him if he got out of bed he'd get a spanking and I reminded him that when he woke in the morning he was supposed to stay in his bed and call for me and I would come get him out of bed. He didn't try to get out of bed.

He woke up a little early in the morning, about 6:30, so I was worried he'd get out of bed before I went to get him at 7. But he didn't. I went in right at 7 and he was sitting in his bed with a big smile on his face. I praised him again.

Day 2 nap: I put him to bed reminding him of the 2 rules. After a few minutes he came out so I gave him a spanking. He fell asleep. He slept for 3 hours and when he woke I was nursing Liv so I was worried he'd get out of bed if I didnt go in there right when he woke, but he didn't. He was in his bed when I went to get him about 5 minutes after he woke. I praised him again.

Day 2 night: we did our routine then I laid him down, reminding of the rules... He fell right asleep. In the morning he woke up at 6:50. He was in his bed when Jamie got him up at 7.

Day 3 nap: Jamie laid him down about a half hour early. He didn't do his routine again, he just laid him down. However he put the video monitor in the room to watch him. He played in his bed for a long time, about 10 minutes. Then he started to get off his bed. Jamie saw him on the monitor and yelled into him "Beck!" Then Jamie went to his room and told him to get in bed. He did and fell asleep. He slept for 3 hours. He woke and waited in his bed until Jamie went in to get him.

Day 3 night: I laid him down at 6:55. I was worried it was too early but he wanted to go to bed and I had the flu so I went with it. We did our routine (couldn't see the stars glowing on the ceiling bc the sun was still up!) I reminded him of the rules and laid him down. He talked for about 30 minutes then started crying. After about 10 minutes I went and checked on him. I couldn't open the door because he was standing in front of it. I put him back in bed and he fell asleep.

Day 4 nap: same ol routine... But he never got up! Went right to sleep!

Day 4 night: same again... Went right to sleep! The next morning he woke up at 6am for some reason. He talked and then whined for momma to get him out of bed like he used to do in his crib, but he never got out. When we went in at 7 he was still in his crib! I think we have a winner folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment