Tuesday, June 8, 2010

My Birth Plan

Birth Plan - Cassandra Elaine Druelinger

Due Date: 03/29/2010
Patient of Dr. Blanke
Scheduled to deliver at Deaconess Women's Hospital


01/02/2010
To all who are a part of my delivery,

This is my first baby. I’m very excited and have done a lot to prepare for labor. I have taken pre-natal yoga classes weekly throughout my entire pregnancy and learned the Bradley Method. I bring with me my husband and doula as my primary coaches. I thank you in advance for your patience and support as I learn the process of labor. I have written a birth plan that I have carefully and thoroughly thought through. While I hope to stick to it as best as I’m able, I also know the unexpected can. Thank you for reading through my plan and helping me implement it as best we can.

Sincerely,
Cassie Druelinger


Labor
• I would like to be free to walk around during labor.
• I wish to be able to move around and change position at will throughout labor.
• I would like to be able to have fluids by mouth throughout the first stage of labor.
• I will be bringing my own music to play during labor.
• I would like the environment to be kept as quiet as possible.
• I would like the lights in the room to be kept low during my labor.
• I would prefer to keep the number of vaginal exams to a minimum.
• I do not want an IV unless I become dehydrated. I will allow a Hep lock to be inserted for emergencies.
• I would like to wear contact lenses or glasses at all times when conscious.
Monitoring
• I do not wish to have continuous fetal monitoring unless it is required by the condition of my baby.
• I do not want an internal monitor unless my baby has shown some sign of distress.
Labor Augmentation/Induction
• I do not wish to have the amniotic membrane ruptured artificially unless signs of fetal distress require internal monitoring.
• I would prefer to be allowed to try changing position and other natural methods (walking, nipple stimulation) before Pitocin is administered.
Anesthesia/Pain Medication
• I realize that many pain medications exist. I'll ask for them if I need them.
Cesarean
• Unless absolutely necessary, I would like to avoid a Cesarean.
• I would like my husband present at all times if my baby requires a Cesarean delivery.
• If my baby is not in distress, my baby should be given to my husband immediately after birth.
Episiotomy
• I would prefer not to have an episiotomy unless absolutely required for my baby's safety.
• I am hoping to protect the perineum. I am practicing ahead of time by squatting, doing Kegel exercises and perineal massage.
• I would appreciate guidance in when to push and when to stop pushing so the perineum can stretch.
• If possible, I would like to use perineal massage to help avoid the need for an episiotomy.
Delivery
• I would like to be allowed to choose the position in which I give birth, including squatting or laying on my side.
• I would like my husband and/or nurses to support me and my legs as necessary during the pushing stage.
• Even if I am fully dilated, and assuming my baby is not in distress, I would like to try to wait until I feel the urge to push before beginning the pushing phase.
• I would appreciate having the room lights turned low for the actual delivery.
• I would like to have my baby placed on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery.
Immediately After Delivery
• I would like to have my husband cut the cord.
• I would prefer that the umbilical cord stop pulsating before it is cut.
• I would like to hold my baby while I deliver the placenta and any tissue repairs are made.
• I would like to hold my baby for at least 15 minutes before (he/she) is photographed, examined, etc.
• I would like to have my baby evaluated and bathed in my presence.
• I plan to keep my baby near me following birth and would appreciate if the evaluation of my baby can be done with my baby on my abdomen, with both of us covered by a warm blanket, unless there is an unusual situation.
• If my baby must be taken from me to receive medical treatment, my husband or some other person I designate will accompany my baby at all times.
• I would prefer to hold my baby rather than have (him/her) placed under heat lamps.
• I do not want a routine injection of Pitocin after the delivery to aid in expelling the placenta.
• I would like to delay the eye medication for my baby until a couple hours after birth.
• I do not wish to have the Hepatitis Vaccine administered.
• I do not want the Vitamin K administered.
Postpartum
• Unless required for health reasons, I do not wish to be separated from my baby.
• I would like to have my baby "room in" and be with me at all times.
Breastfeeding
• I plan to breastfeed my baby and would like to begin nursing very shortly after birth.
• Unless medically necessary, I do not wish to have any bottles given to my baby (including glucose water or plain water).
• I would like to meet with a lactation consultant.
• I would like to try to breastfeed immediately after the baby is born, before he is examined.
Circumcision
• I do not wish to have the circumcision performed in the hospital. I would like for it to be performed on the 8th day.
Photo/Video
• I would like to take still photographs during labor and the birth.
• I would like to make a videorecording of labor and/or the birth.
Other
• My support persons are my husband and my doula and I would like them to be present during labor and/or delivery.
• I would prefer that no students, interns, residents or non-essential personnel be present during my labor or the birth.

1 comment: